About 15 members of the 08 Chelsea Chiefs hockey team, their coaches and parents arrived at the Chelsea Area Fire Authority Station 1 on Sunday afternoon to donate about 50 smoke detectors to the Chelsea community.
Julia Trobaugh, the fundraising chair for the team, said the players wanted to do something to honor the Connolly brothers, two young hockey players who were killed in a house fire last year.
She said they decided on smoke detectors and went to Lowe’s for help. When she told the store’s staff what the Chiefs wanted to do and the reason behind the donation, not only did Lowe’s assist the team in the purchase but also matched the amount they had to spend.
Sunday afternoon, the Chiefs players unloaded about 50 smoke detectors and carried them into the fire station before posing for a few photos.
The team plays at Arctic Coliseum and wanted to make the donation and give back to people who live in the Chelsea and the surrounding area.
If anyone would like a smoke detector, call the fire station at 475-8755 while supplies last. In fact, firefighters will answer questions and assist folks who might need more information about the best way and place to install one in the home.