(Chelsea Update would like to thank Daniel Rhodes and Shane Rodriguez for the information in this story.)
8th Grade Football
The 2023 Chelsea 8th grade football team started off their season with a stellar 52-0 performance against the Grizzlies from Ypsilanti.
The Bulldogs scored on their second play of offense when quarterback Jax Ichesco connected with wide receiver Nolan Sciackitano on a long touchdown pass.
On the ensuing kickoff, Avrion Barnes-Gnass set the tone for the rest of the game with a bone crushing tackle that got the Bulldog sideline fired up.
The Dogs didn’t look back the rest of the way. Every player on the team made important plays that led to touchdowns and allowed the defense to shut out the Grizzlies.
Scoring the other touchdowns for the Bulldogs were running backs Nick White and Barnes-Gnass, tight end Josh Stephens, and Ichesco accounting for two on the ground.
The Bulldogs also had 5 successful 2-point conversions from Brayden Ash, Drew Fillyaw, Solomon Heim, along with Sciackitano and Ichesco.
Defensively the Dogs made several great plays, and Cody Underwood, Owen Nicholson, and Stephens all recovered fumbles.
The 8th grade team will look to keep the momentum going next week when they travel to Saline to face the Hornets.
7th Grade Football
The 7th grade football team hosted the Ypsilanti Grizzlies on Tuesday, Sept. 12 to kickoff the 2023 season.
The dogs fought hard for their first game, but lost 24-8 to the Grizzlies. The dogs were down 16-0 at halftime but tied the second half 8-8.
- Sam Kneffel turned in an incredible defensive performance at defensive end accounting for many of the dogs tackles and a forced fumble.
- Kain Taylor recorded an interception for the dogs on defense.
- TJ Anderson and Bentley Parod recorded many tackles at linebacker.
- Kayden Rehmann and Beck Mendoza threw the ball well at the QB position and led several offensive drives down the field.
- Jake Weinberg scored the lone touchdown for the dogs and Easton Fahlstrom scored the 2-point conversion. Easton had several huge runs for the dogs as well.
- Sawyer Brummond and Jackson Lokers led the dogs in receiving with several big catches.
The dogs are off next week. Their next game will be at Tecumseh on Tuesday, Sept. 26.