At the Aug. 17 Chelsea City Council meeting, Community Development Director Julia Upfal gave the elected officials an overview of building permits and other projects that have taken place in a quarterly report.
(The report is included at the end of this story.)
Among the highlights are:
- 24 zoning permits issued for April, May, June 2020
- 95 zoning permits issued during the 2020 FY that runs from July 2019 to June 2020, with the highest number issued in August (13), October (15) and June (13)
- 245 building permits issued and a total construction value of about $18.7 million
- Silver Maples of Chelsea received final site plan approval for 16 new villa units off Silver Maples Drive
- Preliminary site plans reviewed for a new medical office building at Old US-12 and Fairways Drive
- Hardwood Solutions submitted plans for an addition with new mechanical equipment on E. Industrial St.
- In the Clocktower Complex, land use permits were issued for new tenants in the former Teddy Bear Factory building: Ugly Dog Distillery for bottling and RnD Engineering to include interior remodeling for corridors and bathrooms.
- Under review: a land use permit for an additional tenant in the Teddy Bear Factory building
- Plans were submitted to stripe the West Side Gym basketball court on West Middle Street for a parking lot (three 2nd floor apartment units are planned),
- 10 new units were completed and issued a certificate of occupancy at the Warren Apartment complex
- a site plan was submitted for the former Schumm’s property on M-52 in November 2019
(This is the third in series of stories from the Aug. 17 Chelsea City Council meeting. If you would like to listen to the meeting please go to the city’s website and look at the top for quick links to meeting videos.)