(Chelsea Update would like to thank members of the Chelsea First United Methodist Church for the information in this story.)
Chelsea First United Methodist Church (CFUMC) has announced plans to renovate its sanctuary, calling the campaign “Restore, Renew, Reach Out.”
CFUMC’s Building Committee is working with architect Lincoln A. Poley of Ann Arbor, who specializes in historic restoration. The plan will include: plaster repair and painting, restoration of stained glass windows, improved lighting and sound systems, installing air conditioning, and enhancements to chancel space to provide flexibility and barrier-free access.
The Restore, Renew, Reach Out campaign is led by chairs Max and Sherri Plank, and Mark and Susan Wellman.
“Restoring and renewing the space will enable our congregation to reach out more effectively into the Chelsea community and beyond,” said Max Plank.
The congregation is prayerfully considering a 10-percent gift of all funds raised to be designated for a Chelsea-focused initiative addressing issues of poverty and justice.
It was recently noted that when Grams Hall, the fellowship space, was built 20 years ago, no one envisioned a monthly, free community breakfast. Today, through donations of food and labor, the event has grown to serve breakfast to nearly 350 people each month.
The original church on this site was built in 1859.
In 1899, the wooden building burned to the ground. The small congregation raised $16,000 and rebuilt the church as the current stone structure and it was dedicated in 1900.
Today, the congregation has nearly 600 members and offers a growing ministry of music, mission outreach, active youth and children’s programs with spiritual growth opportunities for all ages.
For more information, contact CFUMC at 734-475-8119 or click here.
The church is located at 128 Park St., across from the Purple Rose Theatre.