A mid-morning fire on the second floor of a home in the 200 block of East Middle Street caused about $25,000 in damage Thursday morning.
Chelsea Area Fire Authority Fire Capt. Chris Smyth said a neighbor saw the smoke and called it in about 11 a.m..
He said the home was divided into two apartments and the fire was stopped in the second floor apartment, which had a single occupant.
About 20 firefighters from Chelsea, Dexter, Manchester and Scio fire departments were on the scene and Smyth said there was minor damage to the rest of the home.
The cause of the fire is accidental, Smyth said, and was under control in about 30 minutes.
He said there was light smoke coming from the second floor window when firefighters arrived.
He estimated that there was about $25,000 damage to the home and about $2,000 damage to the contents of the room.