(Chelsea Update would like to thank Bob Milbrodt for the information in this story.)
Chelsea Kiwanis Club wishes everyone a happy and healthy new year.
Many folks are reminded at the beginning of the year about improving their health by starting an exercise program or eliminating unhealthy foods from their diet.
In that vein, Chelsea Kiwanis would like to interest you in some healthy mixed nuts that could take the place of some of those sugary holiday treats. We still have delicious mixed nuts for sale, a 2+ pound can is $25.
Profits from our sale stay in the Chelsea community, supporting the 35 or so groups in their work. Most of our support is directed to benefiting children in the area.
According to the Mayo Clinic, research suggests that eating nuts may:
* Lower your low-density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad”) cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which play a major role in the buildup of deposits called plaques in your arteries.
* Improve the health of the lining of your arteries.
* Lower levels of inflammation linked to heart disease.
* Reduce the risk of developing blood clots, which can lead to a heart attack and death.
Besides being packed with protein, most nuts contain some of these heart-healthy substances:
* Unsaturated fats. It’s thought that the “good” fats in nuts – both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats – lower bad cholesterol levels.
* Omega-3 fatty acids. These help your heart by, among other things, preventing irregular heart rhythms that can lead to heart attacks.
* Fiber. All nuts contain fiber, which helps lower your cholesterol. Fiber also makes you feel full, so you eat less. In addition, fiber is thought to play a role in preventing type 2 diabetes.
* Vitamin E. This may help stop development of plaques in your arteries, that lead to chest pain, coronary artery disease or a heart attack.
* Plant sterols. These can help lower cholesterol.
* L-arginine. This substance may help the health of artery walls by making them more flexible and less prone to blood clots that can block blood flow.
Please see any Kiwanian to order, or go to our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/kiwanisclubofchelsea
Thanks to everyone in the community for supporting our fundraising effort. Please note the Delicious Delights have sold out.
Go to www.kiwanisofchelsea.org for more information.