Chelsea State Bank ad

CRC, Porter Hills residents, team members begin receiving first COVID vaccines

Courtesy photo. A scene from Chelsea Retirement Community where residents received the COVID vaccine.

(Chelsea Update would like to thank Lisa French for the information in this story.)

The COVID-19 pandemic has been especially difficult and deadly for older adults and direct care workers, but this week brought a ray of hope to those at United Methodist Retirement Communities (UMRC) and Porter Hills.

More than 1,000 UMRC and Porter Hills residents and team members received their first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, with vaccine clinics kicking off on Dec.  29, 2020 at Porter Hills Green House® Homes on Jan. 4, at Porter Hills Village in Grand Rapids, and Jan. 8 at Chelsea Retirement Community in Chelsea.

Vaccines were provided on-site by CVS Pharmacy for team members and residents of UMRC and Porter Hills’ skilled nursing and assisted living centers.

“So many of us long to share hugs and be close to our loved ones, and receiving the vaccine is a critical first step,” said UMRC and Porter Hills President and CEO Steve Fetyko in a press release.

“The vaccine offers us all an opportunity to be part of ending this pandemic,” he said.   

To help protect independent living residents, UMRC and Porter Hills, in partnership with the Washtenaw County Health Department, set up a vaccine clinic for independent living residents ages 65+ from The Cedars of Dexter, The Pines, and Chelsea Retirement Community on Jan. 11.

Similarly, UMRC and Porter Hills is setting up clinics, in conjunction with CVS Pharmacy, for independent living residents of Porter Hills Village and Cook Valley Estates in the coming weeks.

Fetyko acknowledged the work of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, the county health departments, and CVS Pharmacy in making the vaccines available.

“We are continuing to partner with them as we seek to gain access to the vaccine for all of our communities and locations. We are extremely fortunate to have vaccine administration run so smoothly at UMRC and Porter Hills. So far, 75 percent of our locations and communities have had the opportunity for vaccinations, and we continue to seek solutions for the remaining 25 percent of the older adults we serve,” he said.  

Chelsea Retirement Community resident Mary Lee Rosen said, “This has been the greatest news for over nine months.”

“It felt like Christmas morning,” said Wendy Brightman, president of UMRC Foundation and Porter Hills Foundation.

“There was so much emotion and eagerness among our residents and our outstanding team members who have worked so hard these last ten months to keep everyone as safe and healthy as possible,” she said.

For more information, visit www.umrc.com or www.porterhills.org.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

More News

Chelsea State Bank to Open Jackson Branch This Fall

July 17, 2024

Seniors: Reserve Your Spot at Palmer Auto Service for Fair Parade Viewing

July 17, 2024

Letter to the Editor: Vote for Koseck and Russell in Sylvan Township

July 17, 2024

Chelsea City Council July 1 Draft Minutes

July 17, 2024

July 18: David Bloom & Friends Plays at Sounds and Sights on Thursday Night

July 17, 2024

July 20: Outdoor Book Club at Robin Hills Farm

July 17, 2024

July 18: What’s on the Chelsea DDA Meeting Agenda

July 17, 2024

In Photos by Randall Lee: Sights and Sounds on Thursday Night

July 16, 2024

CCF Awards $50,000 in Grants to 3 Chelsea Nonprofits

July 16, 2024

July 17: Corn, Peaches, Tomatoes at Wednesday Farmers Market

July 16, 2024

2024 Chelsea Fair Queen Competition Seeking Participants

July 16, 2024

July 18: 7 on 7 Football Tournament

July 16, 2024

Letter to the Editor: Don’t Rely on Letters to Editor, Seek Facts

July 16, 2024

Chelsea Athletes Learn About Mental Health at District’s First Leadership Symposium

July 15, 2024

Human Rights Commission Discusses ADA City Street Navigation Difficulties

July 15, 2024

Gestamp Expansion Receives State Incentives, Grant for Expansion

July 15, 2024

July 16: What’s on the Chelsea Area Fire Authority Agenda

July 15, 2024

Michigan’s Overall Crash Numbers Fell in 2023

July 15, 2024

July 15: What’s on the Chelsea City Council Agenda

July 15, 2024

July 20: Laser Cutter Demo at Chelsea District Library

July 15, 2024

Publisher’s Message: Letters to the Editor

July 15, 2024